Monday, March 31, 2014

Victor Villanueva

I always highly enjoy reading Dr. Villanueva's stuff and this article was no exception. He always has a way of capturing and holding the readers attention. He is a breath of fresh air because everything he discusses is still relevant today. That is not to say the other reading are not still relevant they were just much harder to relate to then Villanueva's article.

He discusses heavily the issues of race and how it hinders certain racial groups within society. A lot of what Villanueva was discussing brought me back to the Aristotle reading. In a particular part of his essay he mentions that as Americans we tend to blame inequality of particular groups on the group itself. If there is a high amount of Chicano drop outs it is because they are lazy, not because the American education system was structured to favor particular race groups over others. This reminded me a lot of Aristotle's fallacies because often they argue that humans think in terms of because B happened after A then B was caused by A. Because Chicano drop outs increased it was because they were lazy.

Often this is our society's mentality of thinking that people fail because they don't try. However, what is it like for people born into a country where the foundation wasn't built for them? The opportunities aren't present because they are not part of the dominant race. Do you think it is possible to ever live in a society that is 100% equal for everyone? I personally do not think it is possible. The sad truth is these social constructions regarding race have become to engrained in our society.

He uses personal anecdotes throughout his entire article which I feel helped keep my attention throughout.Was there a particular anecdote you connected with over another? I think I particular like that Victor included the anecdote about the principal at his daughters school. I liked this anecdote because, it makes Victor a credible source. He has seen these issues first hand and is willing to share. As we have learned from Aristotle credible sources are important in the world of rhetoric.

No comments:

Post a Comment